Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day




To all my blog readers with Maternal Status: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


I got flowers from my kiddlebums....and I took pictures. The story behind these flowers carries a moral too. First the pictures:


The red rose came from my youngest, who cutefaced her way into getting a rose that one of the ministries was selling after Mass for Mother's Day. Very pretty. The bigger bouquet....my daughter got up this morning and bounded to the bathroom while a parent was in there, with the excited "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!" greeting....only to be flattened by the sound of the daddy's voice saying "It's me." She then reminded Daddy that he didn't take her to get a present for Mommy yesterday when he got home from work. This was at 11pm even mind you, but she was still up waiting on him to take her after he got home. Well Daddy being a retail guy closing the store was exhausted. So he told her he'd get something when he went to get a paper. She told him "you gotta get her flowers." So he did....grocery store bouqet wrapped in plastic. Being last minute though, I'm sure there were few choices available. There were NUMEROUS rotting leaves from being bound up in the plastic so many days. Let's just say that *I* wouldn't have brought that to my mother without cleaning it up first. But that's just me, having worked in a flower shop a couple times for Valentine's Day and Mother's Day, and seeing what a florist expects in terms of quality. My husband just didn't want me to go without those flowers our daughter wanted me to have. Let me tell you it took more than a couple minutes to get the arrangement together. And slimy leaves are gross and leave a green slime on your hands.
The moral of the story: If you're going to buy gas station/grocery store bouquets, at least clean them up before you give them to the recipient. Better yet, buy the floral gifts a few days in advance so there is better selection and quality available to purchase. I'm interested to see if the sunflower opens in the next couple days, and to see what those other mysterious white buds are as well....I want to say they're going to be daisies, but I'm no horticulturist by any means.

No comments: