Tuesday, April 7, 2009

More Teeth and Safety Schmafety

I had a dentist appointment Monday. The staff has become well acquainted with who I am now. I haven't been in 7 years since the last uppity dentist I went to ticked me off when they didn't send me a reminder or call me about my need for a 6 month checkup. I suspect it's because I had a remaining $7.62 balance from some fillings a few months beforehand and I was not one of those gullible patients that fall for their "buy into the whole glamorous smile" marketing scheme they had going. Seriously that guy's office had me watch a video on getting the perfect smile before I got any x-rays or a cleaning. I knew I wasn't going to be at their practice long. So, I knew I had some cavities because it's been 7 years since my last cleaning, and I'm not anal about dental care. Kate Gosselin would be horrified at our dental habits - and our house but that's another story. This new office uses a sonic scraper or something, and I don't like it. I'd rather have an hour of manual scraping believe it or not. Heebie-Jeebie big time for me. Since I can't get any x-rays because of the stowaway, Dr. J had to do a visual check only and make a best guess about the state of my teeth. One of my fillings from Dr. Uppity is meeting with some weak spots on that tooth. The hygenist snagged the filling when she flossed my teeth. It's still bothering me. I told Dr. J that I found my own cavities and pointed to my front teeth. Sure enough, all four of those suckers need work. I'm going to wait till the stowaway is born to do the fillings though. I can't lay in that chair very long before getting lightheaded, so I'm not even going to try it.
The rest of my errands after the space age dental scraping and no x-ray cavity inspection included Target. In the parking lot, the woman I parked next to was loading her loot and her infant in the baby bucket in the Nissan Xterra. No big deal right? Well this baby maker was buckling the baby seat in facing forward. FORWARD, as in not the way the seat was intended, nor the way federal law mandates infants face in a car. I said "I think the seat is backwards." and she just looked at me like "what the hell do you know." And how much do you want to bet that if she gets into an accident and something happens to her child, she's going to be first in line to sue the car seat manufacturer. Why? Because apparently a representative from the carseat company wasn't there to hold a gun to her head and make her turn the bleeping seat around to face the rear. Wait, but didn't she read all the idiot clauses on the seat, the box, the printed materials, in her vehicle's owners manual? I'd bet not. Once again, Darwin fails to open that back door of the waiting room, and it still overflows.

No comments: