Wednesday, March 12, 2008

rain on the roof

I have been busy with work lately. It's a short term thing but it's been a challenge that I've managed in decent order. Planning dinners and putting the menu on the calendar helps. I have some things stirring around in my head and the spoons have kept me awake many a recent night. I'm trying to be patient, and avoid getting in my own way. I have this tendency to do that and I often wonder how many times I've confounded my own efforts by being in my own way. I am trying to trust God to lead me where I'm supposed to be, simply because I'm utterly clueless. There are several Biblical passages about being child-like before God....and here I am. Can't sleep, tired, stuff swirling in my brain, and now rain on the rooftop. It is nothing like the rain on my childhood rooftop. Aside from the rain landing on a different structure, there's a different resonance and song to it. It has its own kind of lilt as it bounces on the shingles and hits the patio pavement below. It's like a musical concert all its own, each drop of rain having a different volume and girth, hitting a different note on a different place on the roof. The syncopation of it all flowing together and creating a rainsong is rather soothing. I could possibly tune out the sound of my husband snoring as the drywall above buckles from the pressure of his inhalations.....and just maybe sleep more than a couple short hours.

3 comments:

Mrs. A. said...

a good read this morning...

I can so relate to the husband snoring. I have spent many nights on the couch not because of marital discord, but in an effort to finish my night's rest.

again...a great read, vivid descriptions, cliches were avoided

(I've had over 400 essays in print and I'm a brutal critic who usually won't critique a piece for that reason.)

** miss shannon ** said...

I have to comment Trish because you really struck a note with me today. I spend so much of my time getting in my own way that I'm often destroying what I want to create. Stepping on my own toes as I try to stumble through this thing I call my life journey. Thank you for reminding me to a) trust God, because do any of us really know what our path is? That is why He is the light. And b) that I need to remember my mantra... If I do what I've always done, I'll get what I've always got. There may be no rain on my roof, but I need to hear my rainsong and dance, not stumble, down the path God leads me. Blessings Trish.

Lindy said...

Rainsongs are good. I love listening to the rain. And listening to God.