Thursday, March 25, 2010

Milestones

Clone is just a tad more than a month away from receiving First Communion. This special occasion calls for a white dress, white shoes, and white veil. A couple friends offered to loan me their daughters' dresses. I would have done that if I couldn't swing the money for it. Thankfully I was thinking ahead and started looking early. We have the requisite white dress. It's a lightweight, slightly adorned number with a layered skirt. She needs a veil too, and I decided that I can make one a lot cheaper than buying one. It could just as easily get more expensive though too. However the least expensive I've seen is $10 for just the veil - no means to affix it to her head. The clips, headbands, combs & crowns add up. For some reason the price triples because it's "bridal" supplies. She wants 2 layers (so she can pull one layer over her face - she watches too much "Say Yes to the Dress"), a tiara, and a decorative edging. We scoped out some trim today. We found one trim that is adorned with something similar to what's on the dress. I will also look in a couple other places to see if there is anything else that strikes our fancy. I'm not overly fond of the tiara idea, but I did see a hair comb with a small tiara somewhere recently. She's a bit of a peanut and I don't want to go overboard with the whole princess getup either, so the smaller the tiara the better. I happened across the dress in a second-hand store while still waddling pregnant with the Mini-Human. I found the shoes (heels - the Clone swooned!) in another second hand store. I told her the ONLY reason she was getting them was because she needs white shoes for this, they're dressy, and she is ONLY going to be permitted to wear them to church. I don't let her wear heels for a number of reasons. First of all I don't believe little kids have any business wearing heels outside of very special occasions, and I'd bet I have a thousand podiatrists ready to back me up on that one. Second, she has my feet. I won't even explain my feet here. Neither of us have time for that right now. So, heels are special occasion shoes only. This special occasion, all the girls dress up like little princess brides. My tomboy diva princess wants a tiara on her veil. I'm just glad I lack the skills to knit lace, because I was briefly (and I do mean BRIEFLY) tempted to knit a veil for Clone. Perusing Ravelry's projects pages of veils revealed that I can not spend 6 hours each day for the next month knitting a veil. It might have worked if I started it last year or even the year before. But some tulle, a decorative hair comb, some lace trim, needle, thread, possibly beading wire and/or hot glue - that I can do. And I can squeeze it in while Mini-Human takes naps.

Mini-Human is getting so big and I'm like "WAIT, SLOW DOWN!" She'll be 6 months old this weekend, and she's crawling, pulling up on things, trying to walk (she REALLY REALLY wants to GO and she just hasn't developed the physical skills fully yet, but the desire is there), and trying to sit up on her own. Tonight I left her in the den on her tummy, went to another room, and immediately came back to find her sitting up all by herself. Beast was 4 feet away watching tv, so he totally missed it. She was very proud of herself as she played with the office supply mini catalog that fell on the floor. There was no repeat performance so I could send a picture message to a certain list of people. A watched pot never boils, and a watched baby never performs on demand either.

While these milestones are awesome to watch and make me smile....I am so not ready for them.

2 comments:

Mrs. A. said...

I envy you in the nicest way your ability to piece together a first Holy Communion ensemble for "tomboy diva." That term is so funny, I'd lol, but the rest of the A family is sleeping.

I agree with you on keeping tdp (tomboy diva princess) out of heels outside of special occasion. It's refreshing to see little girls be exactly that.

After her special day, store the outfit in a nice acid-free box and voila! It will be ready for mini-human. At the rate she is progressing, she'll need it in no time. It is also refreshing to hear your awareness of how brief her babyhood will be, that you're not wishing her to hurry along. That's admirable for a fourth! You seem to keep all your plates spinning very well, kudos due!

I envy you having little girls, but again, in the nicest way. "My" girls came late, in the form of my sons' girlfriends and it's good to have people around whose thoughts and actions are bathed in estrogen. One of them enjoys cooking in my kitchen and that warms my heart (and wins my son's). The other, we share books and movies, similar tastes.

The good Lord willing, I may get me some granddaughters out of the deal one fine day.

Laura said...

Like Mrs. A. I admire you commitment not to be sucked into the expensive over-the-top communion outfits.
Back in 1970 I did NOT wear a veil for my first communion. I did not want to and my mother did not make me.
Scandalous.